It’s the holiday season, and if you’re anything like me, you are going to be drunk… a lot. Hell, I might be a little drunk right now. The good news is that I’m not responsible for the well-being of any other living creatures. For those of you who do, the veterinarian community has a pretty big word of caution. Please don’t get your cats and dogs drunk! It should probably be noted that they would like you to follow this advice all year long, but it just seems like now is the time when the dog poop hits the fan.

Sure, the idea of a tipsy corgi might sound hilarious. It’s actually not all that great. Here, take a look for yourself:

Now that we’ve shattered the dream, let’s talk about the nightmare. Your pets are much smaller than you, and even sneaking little sips of booze left on the floor by your house guests when they get up to break the seal can cause serious alcohol poisoning. Dogs and cats are inquisitive by nature, so a glass of liquid left on the flood is going to at least illicit a couple of tastes.

Last year in the UK, 26 pets were brought into veterinarians for alcohol poisoning, up from 5 pets the year before. So far this year, the number is up to 18, and we’ve barely hit the peak of the holiday party season.

Along with the fact that when pets become drunk, they can become disoriented and confused, they could also end up having a seizure or possibly even falling into respiratory failure.

So… Just to recap. Don’t get your pets drunk. It’s a dick move.

Source: Telegraph