With a cast that already includes Tarron Eggerton, Anya Taylor-Joy, Mark Strong, Alicia Vikander, Mark Hamill and many more, you could already call the cast of Netflix’s Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance star-studded, but now we’ve got news of a whole new group of big names that are joining the cast as well as our first round of character posters. Check out all the cast listings and the new images below!
Newly announced voice cast include:
- Lena Headey (Game of Thrones) as Maudra Fara
- Benedict Wong (Avengers: Endgame) as The General
- Awkwafina (Crazy Rich Asians) as The Collector
- Sigourney Weaver as The Myth-Speaker (No image, voice character only)
- Hannah John-Kamen (Ant-Man and The Wasp) as Naia
- Dave Goelz (The Dark Crystal) as Baffi, a Fizzgig
Previously announced voice cast are noted below, linked now with images of the characters they’ll voice.
Taron Egerton (Kingsman) as Rian
Anya Taylor-Joy (The Witch) as Brea
Nathalie Emmanuel (Game of Thrones) as Deet
Caitriona Balfe (Outlander) as Tavra
Helena Bonham Carter (The King’s Speech) as All-Maudra
Harris Dickinson (forthcoming Maleficent 2) as Gurjin
Natalie Dormer (Game of Thrones) as Onica
Eddie Izzard (Ocean’s Thirteen) as Cadia
Theo James (The Divergent Series) as Rek’yr
Toby Jones (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy) as Librarian
Shazad Latif (Star Trek: Discovery) as Kylan
Gugu Mbatha-Raw (The Cloverfield Paradox) as Seladon
Mark Strong (Kingsman) as Ordon
Alicia Vikander (Tomb Raider) as Mira
The Skeksis & Mystics:
Harvey Fierstein (Torch Song Trilogy) as The Gourmand
Mark Hamill (Child’s Play, Star Wars) as The Scientist
Ralph Ineson (Game of Thrones) as The Hunter
Jason Isaacs (The OA) as The Emperor
Keegan-Michael Key (Key and Peele) as The Ritual Master
Ólafur Darri Ólafsson (True Detective) as The Archer
Simon Pegg (Mission Impossible) as The Chamberlain
Andy Samberg (Brooklyn Nine Nine) as The Heretic
Aughra – Donna Kimball (The Happytime Murders)
Additional characters will also be voiced by their puppeteers from the production, including:
Alice Dinnean as The Ornamentalist
Louise Gold as Maudra Argot
Neil Sterenberg as The Scroll-Keeper
Victor Yerrid as Hup
Additionally, Dinnean, Beccy Henderson and Sterenberg are the puppeteers for lead characters Brea, Deet, and Rian, respectively. Core puppeteers for the production also include Warrick Brownlow-Pike, Dave Chapman, Kevin Clash, Damian Farrell, Helena Smee, Kat Smee, and Olly Taylor.
- Based on The Dark Crystal, Jim Henson’s groundbreaking 1982 feature film, The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance tells a new story, set many years before the events of the movie, and realized using classic puppetry with cutting edge visual effects. The world of Thra is dying. The Crystal of Truth is at the heart of Thra, a source of untold power. But it is damaged, corrupted by the evil Skeksis, and a sickness spreads across the land. When three Gelfling uncover the horrific truth behind the power of the Skeksis, an adventure unfolds as the fires of rebellion are lit and an epic battle for the planet begins.
- “I am so grateful to this dedicated and gifted ensemble who has so beautifully voiced the characters performed by our puppeteers. Gathering such highly skilled performers was only possible because of their love and respect for Jim Henson’s work and his ongoing legacy,” said Louis Leterrier, Director and Executive Producer for the series.
- Logline: The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance returns to the world of Thra with an all new adventure. When three Gelfling discover the horrifying secret behind the Skeksis’ power, they set out on an epic journey to ignite the fires of rebellion and save their world.
About The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance
- Launch date: Friday, August 30, 2019
- Director: Louis Leterrier
- Executive Producers: Lisa Henson, Louis Leterrier, Halle Stanford
- Co-Executive Producers: Jeffrey Addiss & Will Matthews, Javier Grillo-Marxuach, Blanca Lista
- Producer: Ritamarie Peruggi
- Line Producer: Tim Wellspring
- Associate Producer: Cameron Richardson
- Co-Producer: Vivian Lee
- Produced By: The Jim Henson Company
- Format: 10 Episodes x 1 Hour
About The Dark Crystal
The world of The Dark Crystal began with Jim Henson’s groundbreaking 1982 movie, which he co-directed with Frank Oz. Jim Henson had been, until that time, known primarily as the genius behind the Muppets, and this fantasy adventure feature, the first to have an all-puppet cast, marked a turn to more realistic characters and creatures.
From inception to release, The Dark Crystal was seven years in the making and has since gone on to become a cult classic around the world. Visually conceived by Creature and Costume Designer Brian Froud, Thra, the setting for this epic story, is teeming with characters brought to life by Jim Henson’s Creature Shop, including Gelfling heroes, villainous Skeksis, wise Mystics, and a host of original creatures. Jim Henson’s unique vision was – in his own words – the hardest thing he ever worked on, describing it as “a work of art” and “the one that I’m most proud of.”
The visually stunning movie launched a huge range of publishing and collectible merchandise. Two series of graphic novels and a series of young adult novels combined to expand the Dark Crystal world, introducing origin stories, sequel storylines, and a broad canvas to tell a prequel story of the matriarchal Gelfling culture in a time when the world of Thra was younger and more vibrant. A new generation will soon be able to experience the wonder of this world, when The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance comes to Netflix globally.
The Dark Crystal, a truly classic movie, introduced a rich, vibrant, hand-crafted world, on which The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance will only expand, continuing Jim Henson’s innovative and creative legacy. Audiences will once again be thrilled to explore the world of Thra in this epic fantasy that everyone will be talking about.