The first Fifty Shades movie was a raging dumpster fire of fan fiction turned bad Cinemax late night theater. The second movie isn’t setting itself up to be Citizen Kane, but for some reason, more people have watched the trailer video for it than did for Star Wars: The Force Awakens in the first 24 hours of their release.
Here’s how the numbers break down:
– In the first hour, Fifty Shades Darker was viewed 2.5 million times through just the US Facebook posting.
– In the first 24 hours, it was viewed 114 million times across all digital platforms
– The majority of the views were not from the US, but from the UK, Mexico, and France. Keep in mind that France still covets Jerry Lewis.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
– In terms of digital views, the trailer received 112 million views in the first 24 hours.
– It is important to also note that that number does not include the 16 million people who watched the debut on ESPN’s Monday Night Football.