On the heels of yesterday’s news that Disney World was putting the temporary brakes on their upcoming Ratatouille, Tron, and Guardians of The Galaxy attractions, Universal Beijing has just made a major announcement about all of the lands coming to their park in 2021.
The new park, slated to open next year, has just announced a slew of lands that includes Harry Potter’s Wizarding World, Jurassic World: Isla Nubar, Minions land, Kung-Fu Panda: Land of Awesomeness, Hollywood Land, Transformers Metrobase, and an entire land based on Kevin Costner’s 1995 Waterworld. Check out the teaser video below.
The next great Universal theme park is almost here! Today, Universal Beijing Resort unveiled the seven themed lands of Universal Studios Beijing, two extraordinary new hotels, and details for Universal CityWalk Beijing. It’s all coming in 2021—which part are you most excited about seeing?
- In Transformers Metrobase, the first entire Transformers land in the world exclusively built in Universal Beijing Resort, guests can choose to become “guest agents” and fight together with Autobots on thrilling rides like the Decepticoaster, the biggest and most exciting roller coaster in the Resort or the Transformers: Battle for the AllSpark, one of the most popular rides in the land or visit the Energon Power Station to “replenish energy” like a bot.
- Guests can explore The Valley of Peace of Kung Fu Panda Land of Awesomeness, inspired by DreamWorks Animation’s beloved film franchise. Set in “Legendary China”, this is Universal’s first Kung Fu Panda-themed land. The Valley of Peace is the small town where Po, the panda hero of this story, lives. Guests can go on a Kung Fu adventure with Po, fighting against Tian Sha on a unique flume ride, Kung Fu Panda Journey of the Dragon Warrior.
- Inspired by Illumination’s Despicable Me franchise, Minion Land elates and captivates guests, welcoming them into a spectacular, one-of-a-kind immersive experience that invites them to explore iconic locations from the blockbuster films like never before. Throughout the land, guests can interact with the mischievous Minions themselves and, in the land’s signature attraction, Despicable Me Minion Mayhem, guests join Gru, his daughters and the Minions for an unpredictable and utterly electrifying ride. Guests are transformed into Minions and are launched into an unforgettable trip through Gru’s Super Villain laboratory.
- Walking into The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™, Hogwarts™ castle perfectly embodies this incredible world full of infinite possibilities. Discover Dumbledore’s Office, Defense Against the Dark Arts Classroom, Gryffindor Common Room, and the Room of Requirement. The beloved Butterbeer™ is also available for guests to enjoy. In addition, guests may experience an adventure like no other with Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey™. This can-not-miss ride will refresh guests’ understanding of immersive entertainment and allow guests fly with Harry on a journey though familiar scenes in the movie and experience a completely immersive journey into the wizarding world.
- Welcome to Jurassic World Isla Nublar, inspired by Universal Pictures and Amblin Entertainment’s legendary blockbuster franchise. Guests will explore this island of wonder and thrills where dinosaurs roam the Earth again. Inside guests will find an authentic and magnificent world has been expertly brought to life in jaw-dropping detail. Guests can explore this hidden world with four unique zones filled with interactive adventures. With “Jurassic World Adventure”, the main ride of this area, guests will take the All-Terrain Luxury Automatic System (ATLAS) into the wilderness of Nublar Island and embark on an adventure in the turbulent world of dinosaurs, encountering Tyrannosaurus rex, Indominus rex and Velociraptor.
Encountering the Unique Entertainment Beyond Expectation
With 24 shows and entertainment experiences, Universal Beijing Resort blurs the lines between stage and cinema in first-ever entertainment experiences utilizing live performers, interactive props and unique sets. Universal Beijing Resort unveiled two unique shows today: Lights, Camera, Action! featured in Hollywood Boulevard and Waterworld Stunt Show.
Featuring world-renowned directors, Zhang Yimou and Steven Spielberg, Lights, Camera, Action! merges both Western and Eastern popular culture, leading guests into the behind-the-scenes glitz and glamour of film special effects. In addition, Universal Studios Beijing will offer Waterworld Stunt Show in the first land dedicated to Waterworld. Guests will join in an immersive adventure and experience a thrilling water battle that gives them an up-close look at the stunt show of water motorboats, high-dives, gunfire, explosions, as well as a plane crash with great sensory stimulation.
A Place Born from Craftsmanship and Co-creation
Behind the blockbuster-sized entertainment of Universal Beijing Resort is the dedicated craftmanship of more than 500 artists from China and the world.
Artists have worked to create and perfect every single detail of the guest experience. They have carefully combined Western and Eastern culture inspirations to create a world full of surprise and amazement. For example, just for one attraction, Peach Tree of Heavenly Wisdom, located in the center of Kung Fu Panda Land of Awesomeness, changes seasons continually through winter, spring, summer and fall. To achieve this, artists created 58,000 hand-made blossoms which were then paired with 360-degree projection and other artistic technologies to achieve the magical transformation effect. Another example is from Transformer Metrobase, which features an expanded and completely fictional story with China as the background. In the creation of the storyline and the experience, international designers carefully studied Chinese culture, such as Flying Fairy, Armillary Sphere and water ink painting, skillfully integrating the inspiration and working closely together with their local counterparts during the design process.
John Gentile, Senior Director & Executive Producer of Universal Parks and Resorts, said: “This is a story of designers of different cultures and thinking working together to collaborate, impact and co-create. Based on the co-creation and our persistence in detail, we have brought something spectacular to life and put our guests in the story. I’m sure you will share in the amazement as you experience the park that has benefitted from the creative input of so many people and so much remarkable effort. We are very proud to be part of this great journey.”